24/09/2009

Royal Mail Rip Off

I need to send a letter to the Open University in Milton Keynes that must arrive by September 29th. If it doesn't arrive on time I might fail a course that I have put a tremendous amount of effort into over the past twelve months.

If I send the work by first class mail with a 39p stamp it should arrive at the university's offices tomorrow morning. By buying a first class stamp which should enable delivery within 36 hours one would have thought that I am entering into a contract with the Royal Mail to provide the service that I am paying for.

Oh no!

To guarantee that the work does arrive on time to be marked and accredited I have to pay a whopping £5.40 Special Delivery fee. If any other business charged more than 13 times the basic price of a service in order to guarantee that a job that they have promised to do is done, they would be bankrupt within days.

So how does the Royal Mail get away with such a rip-off?

The Royal mail claims that about 95% of its first class mail does arrive on time. Which makes one wonder if the 5% deficiency is caused by systems failures, or if it is part of a cynical attempt to raise doubts in order to force people to pay an extra £5+ for a service that should be guaranteed for 39p!

4 comments:

  1. I have finished with the UK.
    My driving licence was stolen and they won't give me another because I'm not living in the UK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Expat Rule 1 : Always keep a UK address

    Expat Rule 2 : Never give this address to the taxman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 50th birthday Alwyn - older and miserabler ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. alanindyfed said...
    I have finished with the UK.
    My driving licence was stolen and they won't give me another because I'm not living in the UK!!!



    That's the best news we've heard for weeks.

    ReplyDelete