06/11/2008

Poems & Politics: In Flanders Field

When I am not blogging politics my other delight is family history.

My family tree is full of those who lost their lives in the First and Second
World Wars. Some are famous, like my cousins removed Hedd Wyn and Wilfred Owen. Others were just ordinary people like my great uncles John and Hugh Humphreys, my second cousin Thomas Bitton and my uncle Hywel Griffith.

Whatever the rights or wrongs of the two World wars I will Wear my poppy with pride and I will remember them!

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

John McCrae

2 comments:

  1. Alwyn! That was most moving! We will remember them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am quite into family history too!

    Regardless of what we think of war, the outcome of previous wars has given us what we have today!

    ReplyDelete