Ever fancied learning Welsh? Ever fancied raising lots of cash for your favourite charity? Would doing one, convince you to do the other?
Then take up the challenge of learning Welsh to fluency before the 2011 census, (so you can proudly proclaim you speak Welsh on the next census return), and get yourself sponsored for the challenge, seeing how much money you can raise for your favourite charity! :o)
Our goal is:-
RAISING WELSH SPEAKERSHIP BY 2011 & RAISING FUNDS FOR EXCELLENT CAUSES!
Anyone could do it, but it's a BIG CHALLENGE! Here are the 10 steps you have to take:-
1. Select an excellent charity you wish to support (perhaps a Welsh one?)
2. Gain as much sponsorship as possible for your charity for the following challenge:-
"I challenge myself to become a fluent Welsh-speaker by the 2011 U.K. Census!"
(If you already speak a little Welsh, you only have to convince your sponsors that the challenge of becoming fluent is a big one! (Clearly it is - it's as arduous a challenge as any marathon, but thankfully you don't have to be physically fit!) If you have a head start in your learning, perhaps you could start your challenge later in the course of the event.)
3. (The difficult bit) LEARN WELSH TO FLUENCY, before the month prior to the 2011 Census, when you will have to prove your achievement! The challenge is possible within the two years study time available!
4. Don't learn alone - network with other 2011 WELSH-ATHON participants, share learning ideas, and learn together! Also please see the resources for learning Welsh that will be uploaded to 2011 WELSH-AHTON sites, as well as tips and recommended courses.
5. Attend the/an official 2011 WELSH-ATHON exam where your fluency will be tested - one month before the census is conducted - you'll be expected to translate the front page of the Welsh language daily newspaper "Y BYD,"[*] or a selected article from a Welsh language magazine, under exam conditions.
6. Notify the 2011 WELSH-ATHON reporters of how much you've raised, and what your chosen charity was, after passing the exam, so the success of the challenge can be reported by the Welsh media!
7. Attend the post-exam party, where people will be celebrating their newly learned Welsh, and how much they've raised for so many excellent causes!
8. Submit the funds you have raised to your selected charity!!!
9. Proudly indicate your ability to speak Welsh on your 2011 census return! :o)
10. Find out how many people can speak Welsh in Wales after the Census results are published, and enjoy the Welsh you've learned for the rest of your life, encouraging others by telling them how you succeeded in the challenge!
SURELY, IT'S THE MOST PATRIOTIC CHARITY SPONSORSHIP CHALLENGE A WELSH FUND-RAISER COULD FIND IN A LIFETIME!
The Facebook group is here Facebook Welshathon. Those who do not have a Facebook account can contact the organisers on
[* Challenge 5 needs updating!!!]