21/04/2010

NO! I am NOT a Labour Candidate

Every now and again I get plagued by Trolls who believe that they have discovered some huge secret – that my family name is Humphreys. The fools think that I somehow make the fact secret, or that I am ashamed of my family name, or that I try to hide behind a false identity.

The truth is I have used the name Alwyn ap Huw as a public identity for more than thirty five years. Mainly because there is another Alwyn Humphreys, who is much better known than I in Welsh Wales, and I have never wanted to be confused with him.

Since Labour announced the name of their candidate in Dwyfor Meirionnydd I have been inundated with e-mails, letters, phone calls and comments on the street congratulating me / condemning me and commentating on the fact that I have been selected as the Labour Candidate for Dwyfor Meirionnydd.

The worst thing is that some of these comments have come from family and friends who should know better!

To get rid of any further confusion I would like to make it perfectly clear that I AM NOT the Alwyn Humphreys Labour candidate for Dwyfor Meirionnydd.

I hope that nobody wastes a vote on Labour's Alwyn Humphreys because they think that He is Me!

I'm not quite sure what I would feel if I heard that Alwyn had lost votes because of a similar confusion :-(

7 comments:

  1. What a really interesting blog post. It has contributed enormously to the sum of human knowledge. Hang on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Welsh Wales"

    Not sure what you mean by this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon 15:43, maybe it's the inability of Fleet Street/BBC to report on such matters, but there seems to be a world that is unknown to those who don't speak Welsh, due to lack of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think people who comment as anonymous (on a regular basis) are cowards and have something to hide.

    Just my thought on that ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would tend to agree Cherry Pie.

    The thing that annoys me most is their laziness. This site allows people who have the need to remain anonymous the ability to use an alias, an alias would enable one to distinguish witch anon said what - I suspect that Anon 13:02 is the same person as the anon who thought that s/he had the "scoop" about my family name - despite the fact that it is on more than 300 family history sites.

    The post may bore you anon 13:02, but for those who have made the mistake that I am a candidate in this election it is an important clarification.

    Anon 15:43 and Anon 22:35. There is a difficulty that the terms Cymreig (relating to Wales) and Cymraeg (relating to the Welsh language) are both translated as "Welsh". Alwyn, the conductor is a very big name on S4C, BBC Radio Cymru etc, but may not be as well known in the wider community. How do you express that without going into tautology?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous 22:35 is me, not a coward, but being aware that the internet is full of idiots who will employ tactics that are borderline scary and replicant of something a stalker would do.

    Looking you up in phone books, insisting people of the same surname are related(!), taking photos of your house, following you around town to take a photo of your car on a double-yellow etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see you were referring to Welsh speaking Wales.
    You should be clearer, it sounded for a second that you were suggesting people from some parts of Wales were not Welsh.
    Anon

    ReplyDelete