17/08/2007

Wil Edwards

I was sorry to read on Vaughan's blog that news has just broken about the death of former Labour MP Wil Edwards. Wil was my MP from 1966 to 1974, and served his constituents well during that period. He belonged to that band of truly patriotic young Welsh Labour MPs that were around in the 60's and 70's such as Cledwyn Hughes, Ednyfed Hudson Davies and Gwynoro Jones.

Despite having been interested in politics since my youth I have never stood in an election, and I have Wil to thank for saving me from that fate. I was in the count in Dolgellau in February 1974 when Dafydd Elis Thomas beat Wil Edwards, I have never in my life seen anybody look as sad and totally dejected as Wil looked on that night, I certainly wouldn't volunteer to put myself in a situation that resulted in that sort of trauma.

Heartfelt sympathy to Wil's widow Mrs Eleri Edwards, his children and grandchildren

1 comment:

  1. www.eleriedwards.blogspot.com
    interesting to see the other eleri edwards' of the world. our condolences to her on the loss of her husband.

    ReplyDelete