01/06/2008

Wales has got talent

There was some dispute in the Miserable household earlier on today Mrs MOF wanted to watch the final of Britain's Got Talent, I wanted to watch the closing competitions at the Urdd Eisteddfod. As usual she won!

In some ways I was glad that she won, because it enabled me to compare the Brit TV talent show with the annual gala of Welsh talent provided by the Urdd.

There was a 12 year old girl who got the judges gushing with praise "one in a million", "unique", "incredible that one so young should have such a voice" etc. But if if she had competed at the Urdd on Thursday she would not have got through the preliminary rounds.

Congratulations to the winner, George Sampson, who I suspect won on a sympathy vote rather than on true talent.

If the likes of Simon Cowell and Lord Lloyd Webber really want to look for new talent, rather than line their own pockets from Saturday Night Crap TV, they would be better served by visiting the Urdd Eisteddfod next May than by having further series of their paucity of talent telly shows.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with the general tone of your blog. There is an enormous amount of talent within Wales that is generally ignored and unappreciated on the other side of the border.

    However, in your rant against the Cowells and Lloyd Webbers of this world, I do think you are being extremely unfair to 12 year old Faryl Smith.

    What you may not know is that she won the Vocal Solo (Under 15) at the Llangollen International Eisteddfod in 2006.

    Interstingly, in doing so she beat Steffan Rhys Hughes (who won the Unawd Bechgyn Blwyddyn 7-9 at Eisteddfod Glan Conwy) and Pippa Williams (winner of two categories in the 2005 Urdd Eisteddfod and a contestant in 2008).

    So, I don't really think your comment that she would not have got through the prelim stages of this year's Urdd Eisteddfod really holds much water.

    If we want to get Wales on the world stage, rather than moan about it, perhaps it would be better to try and encourage more of our young talent to enter these competitions and wipe the floor with the opposition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "So, I don't really think your comment that she would not have got through the prelim stages of this year's Urdd Eisteddfod really holds much water."

    MOF talking ballocks again....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should show your missus who the boss is ..... oh sorry you already did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MOF is right, Faryl was out of tune when she started her song. If you don't believe me listen to it on the show's web site!

    I'm glad that she beat Steffan in Llangollen though! That little **** seemed to dominate all the competitions in the Urdd. I was sick of seeing hi by the end of the week.

    Don't you just hate that sort of kid?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was at the prelims in Llangollen when Faryl sang and said to my companion"Thats the winner."As to your comments about Steffan I think these are harsh words to use about a young lad who works hard at his singing.He has a great natural talent and an engaging personality .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was at the prelims in Llangollen when Faryl sang and said to my companion"Thats the winner" As for your comments about Steffan, I think these are harsh words about a young lad who works hard at his singing.He has a great natural talent and an engaging personality.Pippa,by the way is my grandaughter,so you can see I am not biased!!

    ReplyDelete