05/08/2011

The People have spoken – the bastards*

*A quote from Dick Tuck's concession speech following his loss in the 1966 California State Senate election; not my assessment of the people of Glan Conwy :-)

The result of the Llansanffraid Glan Conwy Community Council Bryn Rhys Ward by election was:

David Alwyn ap Huw Humphreys Independent 112 (43%)
Daniel Worsley Conservative 197 (57%)

Congratulations to Dan on his victory and a huge thank you to those who gave me their support. I was worried sick last night about how I would live it down if Dan had 4 or 5 hundred votes and I had 4 or 5. Although I am obviously disappointed at not winning I am also relived that I wasn't humiliated.

Despite having campaigned in numerous elections since 1970 this is the first time I have actually put my own head on the block, and I must say that it has, on the whole, been an enjoyable experience. I have seen nooks and crannies of the village that I didn't know existed. I have been able to put names to faces of people who I have greeted on the street for the past 20 years, without quite knowing who they are. I have been bitten by the bug and I will definitely be standing again when the whole council comes up for election again next May!

6 comments:

  1. I'm sure the good people of Llansanffraid will come to regret this.

    At least you are not mis quoting Nixon by saying.

    "You won't have M.OF. to kick around any more".

    ReplyDelete
  2. da iawn ti am dreio. Digon o amser rhwng rwan a mis mai i osod y seiliau a gwneud y gwaith paratoi i gicio'r Tori allan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having had direct experience of Dan Worsley's dictatorial behaviour I'm deeply saddened at this vote. Once people realise he's a little NIMBY Toy with no interest in Wales beyond maintaining house values for incomers, he'll lose his support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Their undoubted loss is our gain. You will now have more time to publish your excellent posts!
    More please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dont believe him, he's a fucken liar

    ReplyDelete
  6. David Alwyn ap Huw Humphreys Independent 112 (43%)
    Daniel Worsley Conservative 197 (57%)

    Your percentages are wrong! David had 36% Daniel had 64%!

    ReplyDelete